Quitting Aid Or Slippery Slope? Experts Divided Over Health Risks Of Vaping This week, it was reported an 18-year-old student in the U.S. underwent emergency surgery for a collapsed lung he claims was caused by vaping, or using electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes). Chance Ammirata, from Florida, said he began using a Juul — a popular, sleek vape containing nicotine — about 18 months ago after believing it was a safe alternative to smoking cigarettes. After noticing pain in the left side of his body and struggling to sit down in a chair, he went to hospital where he was told his left lung had collapsed. “When they did the actual major surgery to re-inflate my lungs, the surgeon said, ‘whatever you’ve been smoking has been leaving these black dots on your lungs’,” he said.